HS2 Carb gurus

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HS2 Carb gurus
From: "Daniel" <tw002crew@shoreham.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:00:18 -0400
Or anyone experienced with fluid dynamics or gasoline vapor pressure!

So it was preventative maintenance time on the Bugeye. I replaced the jets
and needles on both carbs, carefully centering the jets and adjusting the
mixture etc. The motor runs fine. Put Bugeye to bed.

A few days later, turn on power to fuel pump and it runs 12 or more click to
fill the bowls. Hmmm, never used to do this when just run a few days
ago...just a few clicks. I duplicate this to confirm and then check the fuel
level in the bowls before energizing the fuel pump. The levels are down, but
the rear carb bowl is lower. I check for leakage of the jet hose connection
at the bowl...none. However, there is fuel about to drip(actually smaller
than a drip, just very wet) at the bottom of the jet where the hose is
attached (molded). Both jets are doing this, the rear more severe, which
corresponds to the lower level.

I check the point where the jet goes up through the centering nut and there
is fuel dampness there. This rules out a fault of the jet/molded hose
connection.

I pull the dashpots out and there is fuel dampness along the bottom of each
carb at the jet location. It appears that fuel is finding its way out the
jet hole and leaking down the jet tube. However the fuel level in the bowl
is below the jet hole.

Other clues. the motor is cold. The temperature of the garage is constant
@60degrees. The fuel is 93 premium.

Tonight I let the fuel pump fill the bowls, then pulled the covers to
measure the fuel level. They're within 1mm of each other. I'll see what the
levels are after 24 hrs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan Werner