Re: Steering column (No Healey Content)

To: "Douglas W Flagg" <dwflagg@juno.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Steering column (No Healey Content)
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:23:22 -0400
Dear Doug and Bob,
You guys are the one reason I hesitated to post that e-mail in the first
place. I would venture to guess that I have invested as much commitment, time,
and effort in maintaining an original Healey as most on this list. -I would
not mind a comment that owning and driving a Healey has an unavoidable aspect
of risk.  -But I believe your comments about buying a Miata etc are childish,
and intolerant.
I was part of this list going back well over 6 years ago, and had left it
behind because of the constant bickering about original and modified cars,
concours, and "nasty boys". I was glad when I returned, that there was a
greater tolerance level for modifications, even though I myself prefer to keep
mine original.
Why then, does no one bat an eye when discussions turn to alien transmissions,
carbs, pumps, distributors suspensions, etc etc... All manner of modern
components in the name of "go fast", but some of you become insulting toward a
person who objects to the possibility of being impaled on a six foot metal
spike?
Additionally, I had not even stated that I had intent to modify the car, but
merely made an inquiry as to what, if any options there were to reduce that
risk.  You guys have an objection to considering what corrective options there
might be??????
I too recoil a little, still, at the idea of making modifications. -But maybe
you guys could reassess your priorities, and your approach to other owners.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA