Steering Column Conclusions

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Steering Column Conclusions
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:51:54 -0400
WOW,
What I thought was a pretty safe question really stirred up some strong
sentiments. Not only the original vs. modified discussions,
but apparently also various people's perception and approach to risk and
mortality. (real or perceived). It actually was helpful to see all of the
sides of the issue expressed, constructively.

Conclusions (mine, for my own circumstances):
1.) Since I plan to compete in concours for at least a couple of years, the
only modification will be to move up to a 3 or four point belt system. -And
this is probably all I will ever do.
2.) The question about the column itself was to see if there was an
appreciable risk, and to see if there was anything relatively inconspicuous
that could be done about it. -Any change there would have been for application
after I was done showing the car, in the event I decided to do any long
distance and frequent touring. -The MGB collapsible column adaptation goes too
far outside the lines for me, originality-wise, although it sounds like it had
the best hopes of functioning properly. The Cape International telescoping
column looked promising, and looked very much stock, using an original
steering box. -but the news that it will not accommodate a stator tube or
trafficator as original, is a major drawback for me. -The hub mounted turn
signals are one of the many quirky details that make me love these cars.
3.) Switching to a Miata is not an option.

So, as the list had said in many cases, the answer for a concours nut like me
is to get a good seat belt system, drive defensively, keep the brakes in top
notch order, keep my eyes open for any better alternatives, and make
occasional offerings to the gods of chance.

What the hell, ...I used to own a couple of street bikes when I lived in NJ,
and during the summer would commute home to Connecticut on weekends through
the heart of NYC. (Granted, I was in my twenties and therefore thought I was
immortal). -But cruising in the Healey through the countryside (where it
really belongs) has to be a lot safer than THAT!

Thanks for all of the feedback,

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA