Re: Master cylinders

To: "Ronald A. Fine" <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Master cylinders
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:53:13 -0400
FWIW, I have used silicone fluid in my BJ8 and E-Type for years w/o
incident - and - I did not change any of the rubber in ny system when I
switched over.  I know that isn't the "technical" answer, just my
experience.

fluid I might as well ask this question.  Since I am rebuilding the entire
brake system and clutch system I could switch to silicone.  Can I rest
assured that any rubber rebuild parts, seals, etc. that I purchase now are
compatible with silicone or do I have to be careful to purchase only
certain kits or from certain suppliers?
> Ron
>
> Re the material for the master cylinders, original ones that I have seen
> over the years since the late 70s have been aluminium except for the 7/8
> inch bore Brake Masters used on servo assisted cars, which have been
> cast iron.
>
> I suspect that the "625" cylinder received by Alex is 5/8 inch bore (=
> 0.625 inch).
>
> One other point to consider Ron - you need to replace all of your seals
> at least if going to silicone brake fluid. Even if not, I would suggest
> that all new brake parts would be a good way to spend those restoration
> bucks!
>
> Regards
>
> Paul

Check out the new British Cars Forum: