RE: 2639 to 2912

To: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>,
Subject: RE: 2639 to 2912
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:45:59 -0500
 Hi Guys, been there, done that....  I overbored a 26C block (external
ribs) to 0.030 over a std. 2912 cc.  Ran it in my '62 BT7 Mk2 on the
street for several years and it never gave me any trouble at all.  I
switched back to the original 29E engine a few years ago.  It was
already 0.030 overbored so I had the cyls bored all the way out then
sleeved it back to std 2912 bore.  I still have the 26C block if anyone
needs it but it'll really need to be sleeved back to std 2.6 liter bore
because the cyl walls would indeed be too thin for another overbore
above the 2.9 liter displacement.  I highly recommend sleeving a street
engine if it is otherwise good and reliable.  Sleeves and the machine
work needed are relatively cheap and the engine will be like new again
with respect to cyls and pistons.  BTW, I have factory original (not
aftermarket) aluminum front and rear engine plates that were on that 26C
engine when I bought it back in the mid-60s.  They're for sale if
anyone's interested.

Jack