Re: Tires

To: Awgertoo@aol.com, Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:33:12 -0700
Michael:

I had a set of Michelin 165/15 XAS's on my BJ8 many years ago, when they
were still available in tire shops, from Michelin.  They were outstanding on
the Healey - a 'softer' tire than the ZX's, and much better in wet
conditions, much 'grippier'.  The down side - they had a higher wear rate
than the other Michelins available at the time, to me a welcome trade-off
for what was to my mind a superior tire.

As I understand it, the problem now is one of cost - I believe that Coker
Tire has it at something around $200 US or so - most people are not willing
to pay that kind of money for 'driver' tires when the Vredesteins (in one of
3 appropriate sizes are similar, but with modern up to date construction
technology) are available.

I believe that the closest tire available to the originals in size, and at a
'relatively'  reasonable price are the Michelin 175/15 ZXT's, which are the
current incarnation of the same XZX and ZX's that a lot of us have been
running of late.  These tires are pretty hard when they are new, and seem to
get harder with age very quickly - they definitely are not the best tires in
the wet.  My 175 ZX's (on both Healeys) are about 9 years old and need
replacing - still lots of tread left, but they're shot.

I'll probably go with the 185/70/15 Vred's - with apologies to David Nock,
to me the 195's look a bit big  in the wheel wells.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8