Overdrive bearing installation procedure

To: "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overdrive bearing installation procedure
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:56:08 -0400
I think I found the source to the grumbling coming from my transmission. The
bearing under the sunwheel was badly pitted and loose. We also found that
there was no spacer under the rear bearing and that the spacer that was
supposed to be there was in fact installed between the bronze washers more
forward in the assembly. This may have also accounted for the oil leaks I was
getting, seeing that the whole assembly was binding a bit and the sealing
flanges were not coming together as much as it appeared.

Now here's the question.
What is the proper procedure for installing the large and small bearings in
the rear end of the overdrive, just behind the sunwheel??

I'm thinking that I need to heat the large one and put it on the sunwheel
shaft. Then freeze the smaller rear bearing and put it in the housing and then
freeze the sunwheel assembly and insert it into the bearing and housing. This
sounds a bit tricky!

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2