To concours or not to concours?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: To concours or not to concours?
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:46:15 EDT
In a message dated 10/27/04 1:13:18 AM, Mike MacLean writes:

> I am starting a restoration a a very rough BN2.  I had the idea
> of making this car as original as possible, but this petty bickering has
> made up my mind on that decision.  Even if I do try to make a concours
> attempt, I don't want it judged.

Mike

Mike -- Bear in mind that nearly all the bickering has come from one
individual who felt that he wasn't getting proper recognition for the
restoration that
he had one on his car. On the other hand, I hope you won't judge the entire
process, and the committee of volunteers who have worked together for nearly
15
years to compile as accurate a statement of the standards by which the cars
were originally manufacturer, by this one exchange.
Instead, what I suggest you do is to obtain a copy of the current standards
from the committee (you might wait until the end of the year to take advantage
of this year's revision cycle). Then use the standards as you wish as help in
restoring your car. At least you'll know how the car was originally
manufactured when you choose to apply your own taste and preferences to your
restoration. And feel free to ask questions of the members of the concours
committee as
you proceed with your restoration. Rich Chrysler, Roger Moment, and Richard
Gordon in particular are both very knowledgable about the BN2s, and more than
willing to do their best to answer any question you wish to ask, whether it
relates to what was original or how best to proceed with a sticky, difficult,
confusing part of the restoration process.
After you've completed your car then you can make a reasoned decision about
whether you wish to have it inspected by the committee, show it in popular
choice, compete in one of the   many non-Healey concours shows, or simply
enjoy it
yourself on the road and sitting in your driveway.
Cheers
Gary Anderson
co-founder, Austin-Healey Concours Registry

Check out the new British Cars Forum: