freeze plug & miscellaneous

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: freeze plug & miscellaneous
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:04:45 -0400
I was fortunate to get a brass freeze plug from David Nock in Stockton to
replace the one that blew off. The brass goes in very easily and seats well
with a slight ponk to the middle. Very much recommended. I hope you BN less
than 4's benefit from my mistake. I knew a 4# radiator cap was required, but
when I wasn't looking, the restorer put in a 7#, which never let off.
Fortunately, the radiator was freshly re-cored, and did not wipe out. The weak
spot was a freeze plug behind the coil.

Another new item available from David is the original BSF stud that holds the
generator plate down vs using 5/16 BSF bolts. Went in cleanly.

It was good to hear the M roar again. I thought I had cooked it. I am running
a little low on the inner two compressions (144 #4   124#3  134#2 148#1, but
hopefully that is not too bad.  I know from the head rebuild that #3's low
reading  is due to a small scratch in the wall which I am deferring to a more
comprehensive rebuild. Any thoughts if this is too much a variance?

I also have been putting off the re-torquing, but maybe need to now (1000
miles on the head rebuild). Do you let back on the torque before you reset, or
do you just tighten in the proper pattern?

Allen Miller

Check out the new British Cars Forum: