bodywork sequence questions???????

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bodywork sequence questions???????
From: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:59:05 -0600
Hi there fellow listers,
I'm about to begin the bodywork on my 1963 BJ-7 and I have a few questions.
Currently, I have the suspension, wheels and drivetrain installed.  I have the
rear sheet metal about 90% finished.  The fenders and doors are bolted on only
temporarily and are painted in a black epoxy enamel, self-etching primer, (PPG
DP90 I think).  I have the door gaps fairly close but will get them closer.
I'm doing all of my bodywork and primering and painting with a two stage
base/clear system. Anyway, my questions are regarding the assembly of the body
panels and painting on the underside of the panels.  I have the frame already
painted a (Colorado red) enamel and I would like to paint the underside of the
panels an enamel as well.  There are no dents that need hammering out from the
underside.  Thus, should I go ahead and paint the underside of the bodypanels
and fit them to the car before I do the bodywork (fill, primer, sand, repeat)on
the outside of the panels?  I was thinking about doing this to the shrouds and
then permanently mounting them to the car.   As for the fenders, hood, trunk
lid and doors I was thinking of painting the underside, mounting them,
completing the outer bodywork, then removing them for painting and reinstalling
them once painted.  Does this sequencing sound like a good idea?  Have others
done something different?  Alternatively, could I loosen the mounting bolts of
the fenders, perform the bodywork, paint them on the car, then install the
steel bead and retighten the mounting bolt?  Any advise is greatly appreciated.
  Thanks a lot!

Randy Dickson
Healey Archaeologist
63 BJ7