Cleaning ID plates

To: <Healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cleaning ID plates
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:23:56 -0800
I am trying to clean my ID plate (BN7) before reinstalling it.  It is in
very good condition but there is slightly yellow coating that has broken
down and needs to be removed.  I don't want to use anything that would
damage the original black paint below the coating.  I have tried the usual
gentle cleaning stuff but it looks like I need something to dissolve the
coating.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use?

Second Question:  These plates were fixed to the fire wall with a #4
Truss-head phillips screw.  None of my local hardware stores carry such a
screw.  Is there a web site that has these types of odd screws.

Thanks,
Ron