Re: Help! Fuel Leak! Technical Rank

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net;, rusd@velocitus.net
Subject: Re: Help! Fuel Leak! Technical Rank
From: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:35:57 EST
Ok, not sure I follow Mr. Russels comments completely but, here's my  take.
Micheal is right in his basic premise, and we should all listen to  his
experience:

IMHO Please! -  Tribological (friction, wear and  lubrication) advances in
piston, ring and cylinder materials have pretty  much kept pace with the other
advances in engine technology, although clearly  the engine management
capabilities have really advanced in the last  decade.  Kevin Cameron, the
technical
editor at Motor Cyclist wrote a  series of great articles (as all of his
articles are of course) on  cylinder/piston/ring performance advances in
motorcycle
engines over the  last 40+ years.  Advances have allowed racing engines to run
from around  5000 rpm in the 50's to 18,000 rpm + now.  That's 300 rev's per
second.  Amazing.  I have a hard time wraping my brain around  something
mechanical running that fast.  The advances in piston ring  material and the
way
they are designed to deform and seal under compression or  combustion pressure
was fasinating reading - if you're into that  stuff  :)   Cylinder wall
material and finish is designed such  that the grain structure will minimise
friction (and wear), and allow ever high  piston speeds (which is the limiting
factor
to HP generation).  But, engine  management plays the biggest part in engine
performance increase (and  emmisions decrease) over a wide operating range.
No raw  fuel running down the cylinder walls these days.
So, should we all run out and switch our Healey's to fuel inj?  Why  did we
buy these cars in the first place?  Go buy a Miata if you want  modern
engine/engine management/suspension/etc.  Or maybe one of those  smokin' hot
mini
cooper's.  sweet car.