Re: 100 grilles - satin finish

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 100 grilles - satin finish
From: CNAArndt@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:46:38 EST
Hi All,

I did a little research and found some postings from the Ford Model A group
regarding Butler Chrome or Butler Nickel which might help.  I've posted them
below.

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, Ca
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)

Butler Finish

Posted by Pat Patterson on June 05, 1998 at 21:40:40

Page 161 of the book, "The Ford Model A, As Henry Built It" indicates that on
the 1930 Town Sedan "the door handles, window regulator handles, gear shift,
and brake lever were Butler finish chrome-plated."But the Judging Standards
indicate they were Butler nickel finish (page 12-6). The Standards show that
Butler chrome was only on the Town Car.
Just curious: which one is correct?I'm assuming the Judging Standards are
always the correct source.

Also, does Butler chrome finish look significantly different from Butler
nickel finish?

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows.

Re: Butler Chrome Finish

Posted by Marco on April 03, 1998 at 14:53:47

22:14:10

Pat,

"Butler finish", commonly used during the era was actually a grained finish
that was created by buffing the base metal with an extremely coarse compound
prior to plating. The instrument panel, shift lever, and possibly some brake
levers were the only items that were true "Butler finish". All other items were
merely satin nickel, but had similar sheen and overall appearance. Unlike
today, the nickel plating of the era had very little relective properties
unless
buffed. This is what makes duplicating the original finish difficult.

Butler Plating

Posted by Rick Black on April 02, 1998 at 22:41:53

at 22:14:10

I searched high and low for a plater who could do Butler - most had not even
heard of that technique (although if you say "satin finish", it rings a bell.

I finally sent mine to Lemon Grove Plating near San Diego California.They did
a nice job in a reasonable length of time, but each piece averaged $20 for
plating so it ain't cheap!

Their address is:
LEMON GROVE PLATING
1400 CLEVELAND AVE