Mashed BN7 won't turn over

To: "Healeys List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mashed BN7 won't turn over
From: "Scott Willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:00:37 -0600
Hi folks,

I had the tranny back out and I reinstalled installed the original flywheel
to see if I could get rid of the vibration I thought was coming from the
lightened flywheel.

Now I can't get er started. I changed polarity to neg ground a while back
and drove the car for several months. The car has been sitting now since
Sept. I've taken the starter off and cleaned the brushes (somewhat). One
brush looks much more worn than the others.

I took my MGA battery and used jumper cables to by-pass all wiring. When I
hook directly to the solenoid switch it just clicks one loud click when I
push the starter button on the dash.

When I hold the jumper cables, one gounded and one to starter post, I get a
huge spark and a week whiz sound from the starter. It does NOT sound like it
is trying to start. I hooked the battery to the starter when it was out and
it spun with large spark when connected.

Is there a way to test the starter switch?

I plan to have the starter rebuilt. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Scott
Mashed 60 BN7
59 MGA