RE: supplemental gauge question

To: "'Allen C Miller, Jr.'" <acmiller@mhcable.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: supplemental gauge question
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:23:14 -0500
Hi Allen,
The 100S was fitted with an oil temp gauge as original equipment and I run
one in AHX12. It is interesting, and sometimes a little scary to watch.
Under normal driving the temperature can vary from 100 - 200 degrees F in
AHX12 which has no oil cooler. When I really push the car, as in the Gander
stage of Targa Newfoundland the oil temperature goes right around to the 0
stop. We use 20-50 synthetic and have seen no evidence of problems but when
the temperature is high there is a 3- 5 p.s.i. drop in oil pressure.
If you are using the car for any sort of hard driving I would recommend
fitting an oil temp gauge and brazing the adaptor into the pan.
One word of caution, which may not apply to the electric gauge, be careful
where you position the bulb. We have to jack the engine very slightly to one
side to get the capillary type bulb out on both the "S" and on AHX12 because
it hits the frame.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com