BJ8 Distributor Applicability Question

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: BJ8 Distributor Applicability Question
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@randolph.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:01:01 -0600
Fellow Listers,

I own a 1965 BJ8 with VIN 65BJ8L28308.  I have acquired a distributor for
this vehicle that appears to be in good condition - no bushing slop, etc.
It is marked as follows:

25D    40966   J
        6        73

I am wondering if this is indeed a BJ8 distributor as the Moss catalogue
lists it as 25D6 40966.  Additionally, the original distributor on this car
has a screw-on fitting for the vacuum advance vacuum line attachment whereas
this distributor has a smooth tube attachment point.  I assume one would use
a rubber hose and clamp to connect to the vacuum line.  As everything else
appears to be the same, my concern is regarding the internal mechanisms.
Specifically, I am wondering if the mechanical advance weights are the
correct ones for my car.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Should I use this distributor?

Thanks in advance!
Stever