Re: timing mark on pulley

To: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: timing mark on pulley
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:45:57 -0800 (PST)
Barry / Dave -

BN2s don't have a harmonic balancer, they just have a
pulley.  Part of the reason the cranks break at the
2nd bearing from time to time.

Late BJ8s are the only healey that has the harmonic
balancer attached to a rim which is a cast part of the
pulley... this means the round dimple, which is
drilled into the face of the harmonic balancer (not
the pulley), and sometimes on the edge of the
balancer, can in fact shift position over time because
it is attached to the pulley with a rubber vibration
ring.  To be honest you don't ever want to be taking a
timing measure off of this round dimple.

There should be a little notch cut into the edge of
the pulley itself, that should be the only thing you
take a timing measure from.  It is hard to see, but
with enough light and patience you will find it.

I hope that is clear.  Please write back if you have
more questions.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8