Re: Redline MTL

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Redline MTL
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:36:01 -0700
Hi Tom,

RL MTL is a SAE 75W80 rated gear oil. RL MT90 is a SAE 75W90 rated gear
oil. The MTL might be a little better for cold climates. I have used
MT90 in the Healey gearbox/OD for quite a while. Prior to that I used
30wt motor oil or SAE 20 W 50 motor oil. I find that the RL oils give
smoother, quicker shifting than the motor oils & the OD engages a bit
more quickly. The down side of RL is quite a bit higher cost.

Note that because gear oil viscosities are rated differently from engine
oils, the MT90, 75W90 gear oil is roughly equivalent to a SAE 20W50
motor oil. The MTL 70W80 gear oil is about the same as SAE 10W30 motor oil.

Dave Russell
BN2