BJ8 gearbox "plungers"

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BJ8 gearbox "plungers"
From: "belfieldsp@juno.com" <belfieldsp@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:44:29 GMT
In rebuilding a BJ8 gearbox (w/overdrive), I'm puzzled by 2 plungers in the 1st
gear, along with the 3 springs and balls. One plunger was apparently jammed in
operation, snapped off the tip and wore away most of the inner tooth of the
gear. These plungers show up in the Moss catalog (diagram # 44)but no part #
and NA. They don't appear in the BMC Workshop Manual.
I don't quite see the purpose since they are not spring loaded. I can't imagine
depending on centrifugal force against the gear oil to throw them out into the
gear. Are they needed? Does anyone know a supplier?
The archive had a similar question a while ago but I didn't see a definitive
answer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Belfield
BJ7 (w/ a BJ8 gearbox)