RE: disc brake was knock back

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: disc brake was knock back
From: <gschwind@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:46:21 +0000
Hi, Listers.
     Well, I'm back at my car to fix the brake difficulties. I was away since
Oct, so am just restarting the activity now. I've removed the left caliper,
found the the sticking pistons were due to corrosion of the outer end of the
piston. The bores and seal grooves of the caliper are perfect, with corrosion
only on the outer edge of the bores. The outer seal grooves are corroded but
cleaned up nicely. I bought new stainless steel pistons, seals etc. and am
close to reassembly.
     1. The Seal Kit I got from M... has the parts I need, but I don't know
where the steel wire ring goes. The old seals didn't have any anywhere.
     2. Given the significant corrosion under the dust cover, is there any sort
of grease or sealer that should be there to help keep waster out?
     3. I'm replacing both rotors with the correct new ones, new pads, and
rebuilding both calipers.
     4. Please feel free to offer other tips to ease my life! Thanks in advance.
DON    BJ8    Pandora