Re: LE Mans 1955

To: SJNNOCK@aol.com
Subject: Re: LE Mans 1955
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:54:56 -0500
There are also a couple newer books that cover it:

1) Against Death and Time, by Brock Yates - a fictional narrator covers the
racing in 1955 which was a bad year including Alberto Ascari at Monza, Bill
Vuckovich at Indy, Le Mans, and James Dean. Although one doesn't want an author
to just rehash what has already been written, I was a little disappointed to
learn that Brock wasn't aware of Mark Kahn's book when he wrote his.

2) Le Mans '55 by Christopher Hilton - "new" in Motorbooks January 2005 catalog.

I liked the first, haven't bought the second one yet.  Kahn's book is good - a
large part based on Lance Macklin's recollections.

Bob