Which white

To: <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Which white
From: "Sam Marble" <samncyna@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:20:01 -0500
Patton:
I had my BN4 painted in the Ivory white/BlacK Duotone combo this past
summer. I have the Pikovnik
book also. But I also used a chart from the Original MGB book since
the same BMC paint codes were used on earlier MGBs. I've found this
chart valuable since it give the paint codes for several manufacturers
as well as ICI, including PPG/Ditzler, Dupont, and others.
If you go to a good PPG paint supplier, you'll find that they still
have the original paint codes, in my case, Old English White, BMC code
WT3, active in their system. The PPG number, 8177, was originally a
laquer or enamel but they can mix it for a Base Coat/Clear Coat
application.
I had decided to paint the chassis myself and I wanted to use a single
stage urethane . There was no direct PPG formula to produce this but
they had an "offset"
which is an optical match which could be produced.
The code was DCC8802.
To make a long story short the results were right on and matched the
sample in Piknovik's book very well in both cases.
I also had similar success in getting the correct shade of green to
match BMC Dark Racing Green (GN29) for my MGB.
Sam