Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction - Reporter on the scene...

To: healeydoc@sbcglobal.net, mother-ship@earthlink.net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction - Reporter on the scene...
From: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:57:55 EST
Gus, obviously there are multiple opinions on this type thread BUT the fact
remains that a Healey that is done correctly by someone that knows what they
are doing is going to be worth considerably more than your average driver.
Also
the fact remains that MOST of the cars that are still around are no better
than average.  Additionally a cars value is in the eye of the buyer and seller.

What the rest of us think is immaterial.

You probably have a lot more experience than I do but I have done several
cars over the years.  Some Triumphs and some Healeys.  I can honestly say that
it
takes a tremendous effort to do either Marque to Concours Level.  I have had
a World Class Level TR 3A and sold it for $29,150.00  Stupid money?  I don't
think so.  I have also had a World Class TR 250.  Sold it for $29,850.00  Same
feeling.  Don't know if these are World Record Sales Prices but I would bet
they are pretty close.  Having done both cars I can tell you I was proud of the
effort and outcome but I didn't make any money.  I have also had a twice Gold
BJ8.  Same feeling but it did not sell for $90,000 even though David Kinney
said it was as nice as any he had seen at Monterey and rated it a 1-.  I am now
doing a 56 BN2 and a TR 3B.  Point is a lot of us do it for the fun of it and
love of keeping the Marque alive.  Almost a way of leaving a little something
of ourselves behind.  Some do it just for money.  I say if they can get
$90,000 for their efforts good for them.  Someone obviously appreciated the
effort
it took to get the car to that level.  Why call them a nut case?

Gary Fuqua
Crazy in Branson, Missouri