Re: Subject: Great Roads - Here's One!

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Great Roads - Here's One!
From: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:21:46 -0700
Ahhhh...  I can bite on this one ....  I have done this several times ....

Start:  My House Idaho Falls, ID... 7AM

Leg 1: Drive North on Route 20 through Ashton (4 lanes down to 2 by ashton)
follow through Island Park and over targhee pass (small pass) into West
Yellowstone MT.  Stop get coffee - Time 2 hours Max)

Leg 2: Into Yellowstone park through the Madison Valley.  Turn North Toward
Norris Geyser Basin, Then east on Canyon road.  At "T" go south on Canyon
Loop to the Head of Yellowstone lake.  Lunch (and adult hopped beverage) at
the Lake Yellowstone Hotel (not too much as this is a long day).  Stops
along the way if desired.  Elapsed time (after Labor day) around 2 hours)

Leg 3: South along Yellowstone lake, into Wyoming and Teton National Park ..
Stop at Jackson Lake lodge for pit stop .... (around 1.5 hours)

Leg 4: south 1 mile from Jackson Lake lodge and right onto the teton park
road.  At Moose take the Moose road (right) after exiting the "Official Park
entry Point."  (Note there is asection of dirt road in here but worth it for
the rest of the curvey bits..... At rt 22 go right toward Wilson (skip
Jackson Hole) .... Pit stop for coffee at the bagel store by the post office
on the left...

Leg 5: Continues west on 22 over Teton Pass .... Brave the up hill if you
don't have a good cooling system..... Brave your brakes on the way down if
you don't have good brakes .... (This is REALLY fun EARLY in the AM ..  In
the Healey of the 2003 Cooper S) .. Continue back into Idaho and stop in
Victor at the Victor Emporium ( Famous for huckleberry Milkshakes ..  I'll
just have coffe and say hi to the girls that own the place) ..

Leg 6: Go westt in Victor on 31 and over Pine Creek Pass .. Very fun twisty
bits ... I know thie road too well .. Remember there ARE many moose! ... In
Swan Valley go west on 26.  When in the Conant Valley a stop for Dinner at
the South Fork Lodge ..  Eat on the patio next to the south fork of the
snake river ...  Great food and wine selection ..

Leg 7:  a quick straight shot back to Idaho Falls on 26 (west...)

A long day but a great one .. You can not daudle .... But hell the trip is
to drive anyway ... And there are sections you WILL want to drive FAST..

Cheers.

Jim Sailer
66 BJ8
03 Cooper S