RE: Jet and cam question

To: <MKIII4ME@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Jet and cam question
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:07:32 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of MKIII4ME@aol.com
Sent: 19 February 2005 04:13
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Jet and cam question

Listers:  Can anyone give an answer to my friend's question?   TIA. I can
forward the answer to him.   Maybe this will convince him  to sign up on the
list.

Dennis
MKlll4ME

" I`m going to build a new motor for my car to replace the race motor  and
want to use triple HS-6  carbs off a BJ7 instead of the stock HS-4 .  The
HS-6's
are 1 3/4" and the HS-4's are   1 1/2" . I plan to use a  BJ-8 cam. Does
anyone know what jets to use in the 1 3/4 carbs and is this the  right cam
for
street use for extra performance?   John"

I imagine he means MkII BT7, not BJ7.
I have a BT7. I have switched from HS-4 to HD-6s. I hated the practical
aspects of the HS setup....plastic jet assemblies etc. With half the
adjusting done from under the carbs and with three stuffed in there, you'll
need the customary midget with thrice articulated wrists etc.

I have green springs and CV needles in my three, and that's possibly about
right, but he'll have to take other factors into account to be sure he hits
it right. And he'll need a greater brain than mine to get him there! Bill
Bolton is the tricarb master. Try him. (sorry, Bill).
I use a  Denis Welch "fast road" cam which is apparently a (little) bit
hotter than the BJ8's. The latter is quite ols now? Why not take advantage
of modern developments?