Re: Three or Four speed BN-1 tranny - final?

To: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Three or Four speed BN-1 tranny - final?
From: "Charley Braum" <cbaustin@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:17:49 -0500
    One other note that others might find interesting or instructive.

    We double checked the ratios as listed in the factory workshop manual by
turning the shafts and counting revs. The 'first' gear in the book is listed
as 2.25 : 1 and checks out in my 'new' box.

    The 'real first gear' seems to be close to 3.66 : 1 so all of you more
well versed in engine/transmission/gear calculations can get an idea of what
size stump can be pulled, or just how far up the wall it might get before
tipping over backwards!

    Just what I heard about 'first gear' :^)

    Regards, and thanks again for everyone's input.

                                                        CB