Fibreglass transmission tunnel

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fibreglass transmission tunnel
From: "j.aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:26:08 +0100
Listers,
Am trying to get my BJ8 phase 2 transmission tunnel back into an acceptable
state. As I bought my car in pieces I have no idea how much 'play' I have
between the inside of the tunnel and the gearbox/overdrive. When carrying out
repairs on the fibreglass, can I do it on the inside to keep the outside as
smooth as possible or do I run the risk that when I install the thing (next
year or so!) it hits the gearbox?
My second question is about the flange where the gearbox lever passes through.
That flange is cracked/torn in four places and it will get much thicker
because of the repair. Is there anything that gets in the way when this flange
thickens? Is the gear lever gaiter (which I don't have yet) fitted to this
flange?
Finally: I found a metal strip with two 10-32 studs popriveted to the top of
the tunnel, about 2 inches in front of the gearbox lever hole. Can't find it
in any part book - was this for the P.O.'s coke bottle holder or is it an
official part?
Apologies for these stupid questions but as I said: I bought the car in
pieces.
Thanks as usual and regards from a snow covered Holland with the coldest March
night ever since mankind started noting the temperatures: minus 20.7 C which I
calculated as minus 5 Fahrenheit. (Why don't you in the USA change over to a
decent metric temperature system? Even the English did it!)
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432