RE: Healey 3000 Twin Cam for Sale

To: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Healey 3000 Twin Cam for Sale
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:11:50 +1100
G'day Scott

The Austin-Healey DOHC 3000 is a very rare beast indeed. In fact we
Australians would say that it's about as rare as hen's teeth or rocking
horse shit.

In other words there was no such animal.

Now that does mean that DOHC engines didn't feature throughout the life
of the Austin-Healey. There was of course the Ferrari engined
Austin-Healey that ran at Sebring that was a DOHC. Of course Canadian
Harold Hunter spent a fortune trying to perfect his DOHC cylinder head
for the AH100 engine. When it ran it was magic but with metallurgy like
it was at the time there were problems with the cam gear and pedestals
lifting away from the head.

The next time a DOHC enters the scene was with the 4-litre Rolls-Royce
engine fitted to the AH4000. Originally the engine was what is called an
L-head, meaning that the overhead inlet and side exhaust valve
arrangement. (Or vice-versa - there is a limit to known trivia you know)

RR engineers designed a DOHC cylinder head that put the power output
into Jaguar territory. As Austin and Jaguar were both owned by the same
organisation, BLMC or whatever they were called at the time such a
competitor to the E-type couldn't be countenanced and the world didn't
see the 4000.

There was another engine built about the same time as the MG Twin-Cam
but made by Austin. As many would know there wasn't much love lost
between Austin and Morris (remember what M stands for in MG?). There was
talk that Austin bought one of Harold's heads and subjected it to
stringent tests in the UK. I recall reading that Donald himself didn't
pay much credence to the head. However an engine was built based on the
2660cc capacity and the same design was used for a smaller capacity
engine of around 1500cc. What happened to it? History knows.

Now if you think that today's modern DOHC engines are all very bright
and shiny new it is a sobering thought to realise that the first 4 valve
per cylinder DOHC engine was designed and built in 1906 by Ernest Henry
for Peugeot. Now how long did the world have to put up with side valve
and overhead valve engines after that?

It's a sad thing that we didn't see a DOHC engine for the 3000 as it
would have been quite a beast.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia