Re: Austin Healey shroud repair panels

To: "Jorge Garcia" <fortee9er@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Austin Healey shroud repair panels
From: "David Ward" <david@bighealey.ltd.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:44:16 -0000
Hello Jorge,
I find now that the best way to repair alloy panels is to weld with tig, and
if distortion comes into play as with castings then use a water cooled tig,
this keeps the spread of heat in check.
Why not have a go at the repair and the panel work yourself, it really is no
great deal. Just take your time, and do one side at a time so you can use a
template from the opposite side, half  fill a bag of sand, throw it onto the
floor and knee it several times and with good hammers and dollies you're in
business.  What if you make a mess of it.....at least you tried, but if you
take it easy and accept that you will not perform a miracle all at once you
will gradually get better at it, you cannot expect the same results as us
that have been doing this for forty years.
When you are satisfied more or less with your result simply finish off with
a DA sander, etch prime, and  use Hi-build primers, and do not forget to
"block " it, this is absolutely vital if you are ever to obtain a
satisfactory finish.A method that I always use when I am blocking, and that
is to get a matt black undercoat spray and criss-cross the body, then when
you have blocked the entire panel and no more black is present you have
acceptable panels ready for the finishing coats.
I have no idea of the costs there in the US for say a front shroud but here
I have heard 1000stg pounds quoted, as well as a few weeks ago here in the
UK I heard that for the re-building of a standard 3000 BT7 engine that is
unleaded and balanced would be 10,000 stg pounds PLUS 17and a  half  percent
Govt tax.........grand total............11,750 Stg
pounds....................or $ 21,150 US.......Jorge go get your sand bag
and dollies, a few crates of  the necessary amber fluid, tell your
neighbours to go out for awhile and get busy  bashing metal.
At least afterwards you can say,"I did THAT"
The very best of luck to you.
Regards.
David.

www.bighealey.ltd.uk