RE: Engine rebuild wisdom sought

To: <HealeyBN7@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine rebuild wisdom sought
From: "Neal Grotenhuis" <grotenhuis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:21:55 -0500
Dave,

The engine is pretty straight forward.  A good machine shop should be able
to help with many inspection and measurement questions like whether the
crank needs a regrind, how much should be taken off, what size rings and/or
pistons you'll need, balancing the parts, magnafluxing the head for cracks,
etc.  A few things to consider are whether you want a different (hotter)
regrind on the cam, replacing the valves and seats with hardened ones, and
whether you want to add a rear crank seal.

Also consider where you're willing to stop.  My last engine rebuild
(necessary for broken rings) cost over $4000; I thought as long as the
engine is out, those front suspension bushings and brake lines are a lot
easier to get at, and it would be easy to repaint the engine bay.  But why
stop there-let's respray the whole car for a proper match... You get the
idea.

Neal G.
'61 BT7

Subject: Engine rebuild wisdom sought

Listers,

<<But when it goes  back in the car I intend for it to be a long time before
it comes out again, so  I'd like to be as proactive as possible now.>>

Dave
61 BN7