RE: Wheels for Tubeless tires

To: "'Bob Johnson'" <robert.w.johnson@adelphia.net>,
Subject: RE: Wheels for Tubeless tires
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:25:50 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Bob Johnson
Sent: 29 March 2005 17:37
To: Healey List
Subject: Wheels for Tubeless tires
Bob, Hi. Here's my bit...probably all b******s, but fairly newly discovered
at least.
On my BJ8 I have tubeless tires. All of the tires have tubes in them and the
wheels are the original 48 spoke wheels.

Not sure I get this, but you just want to go tubeless? (Regardless of what
you've got now!?)

The only problem that I have ever had with this arrangement was a tire going
flat because the tube failed.
Apparently the tube had rubbed against the tire long enough to cause the
tube to fail. When the tire was taken off the rim, there was a lot of "dust"
in the tire, presumably tube rubber.
        Yes, I'd agree. Tubes do give up with age you know, just like tyres.
And the friction doesn't help at all.
Since that time, my worry is that another tube will fail.
        It will, for sure. Hope that it won't and it will. Sod's Law.

I have about decided that I want to go tubeless.
        I bought new spoked wheels the other day and the fitter told m,e
straight that 99% of spoked wheels need tubes. The remainder have some
goo/sealnt which is apparently (a) useless & (b) is broken if/when the
spokes need repair.

So, what makes a rim a tubeless rim?
Per above, I don't think there is a useful choice in tubeless spoked tyres.
Especially not old 48 spoke Dunlops.
I know that it is the shape of the flange on the rim, but does that little
rubber strip that is around the spoke ends really keep the air in or is
there something more?
It's to help against the friction effect of tube on spokes.
Where can I get replacement rubber strips,

        Dunno. Guess from local wheel supplier. Or make your own with
suitable tape.
and what are they actually called? (Can't really be called "little rubber
strips" can they?)
        Sounds OK to me. 3 of mine didn't have the "little rubber strips".
The 4th was pretty grotty. I'd never had a puncture though...not in my four
new tubes!!

Simon.