Re: Big smoke

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Big smoke
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:13:43 -0400
Hi, Dave -

I'm pretty sure it's your servo.  Same thing happened to me once.  While
tooling around out in the country about 400 miles from home, I came around a
curve to find a Jag E-type roadster parked with a For Sale sign on it.  I got
hard on the brakes, and suddenly was enveloped in a white fog.  Later
investigation under the shade of a tree found that all three of the rear
sparkplugs were coated with a brilliant white substance, and after I got home
and opened the booster canister I found a half-pint or so of brake fluid in
it.  That explained where all the brake fluid had been going that I had been
adding frequently.

I rebuilt my booster myself, and it wasn't difficult -- the only problem being
the foam rubber packing for the leather seal was much too thick and made the
booster piston stick and lock the brakes on until I shaved down the foam.
That was trial and error until I got it right.

Get yourself some dry-film lubricant for the inside of the canister.  I got
mine here:  http://www.sandstromproducts.com

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry