1965 BJ8 Wiring Problems/Questions

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1965 BJ8 Wiring Problems/Questions
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:40:52 -0500
I added in-line fuses to the new "red" wires of my lighting system on my
1965 BJ8 last summer after a melt-down - at the time I thought that a failed
headlight switch was the cause as it had melted down. I installed 10 amp
fuses which seemed to work fine - until last weekend I was told I had an
inop right brake light. Assuming a burned out bulb I soon discovered that
there was more to it. I had a left brake light and left signal, but no tail
lights on the left or any function on the right brake/tail and signal light.
The short version is that I closely inspected all of the wiring in the trunk
area and found the license plate illumination light red wire had overheated
at some point - I had not noticed that last summer, but it could have been
oversight. It didn't look like it had shorted per se, but I replaced that
wire last night and checked all the grounds. I had installed an in-line fuse
on the red wire just prior to it splitting off to the tail lights (located
beside the gas tank). That 10 amp fuse had blown. Now here is the part I
don't understand: I also have another in-line fuse on the same wire in the
engine compartment where it splits off and goes to the rear. This 10 amp
fuse had also blown. Why would BOTH fuses blow? I could find no short in the
trunk area so I am guessing that there is a short between the two fuses
somewhere (where the wire runs from the engine compartment back along the
frame and into the trunk). Does this make sense - you have probably figured
out already that my strong suit is NOT wiring..... Anyway, any ideas on what
would cause the TWO fuses to blow (I have always thought that only one would
blow at a time) and what is a good fuse amp size for these in-line fuses?
Also - why did the left brake and signal light still work???  I am wondering
if the flasher relay may be the culprit?  Thank you very much for your help!

Steve Rizzo, Lt. Col.
AETC/XPRU
steven.rizzo@randolph.af.mil
210-652-8479