100 BN2 [hypoid axle] halfshaft oil seal

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: 100 BN2 [hypoid axle] halfshaft oil seal
From: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 23:15:04 +0100 (BST)
After a great weekend trip to the Texas Roundup, 800 miles altogether, and
needing the annual inspection sticker, I thought I had better give the 100 a
dose of looking at. What I found was mostly good, however, a suspicious lining
of oil round the rear right hand inner wheel well needed further investigation.
So the drum came off and as suspected, the halfshaft oilseal is leaking to the
inside of the drum. Not having the parts nor the tools to put things right, I
took out the differential fill/level plug, expecting to need to top up the diff
oil. Instead, a good pint of oil spewed out [onto the garage floor - what a
mess]. So, presumably PO has overfilled the diff?

Questions:-

   Could it be that the oil seal is actually OK, bearing in mind that it is not
supposed to run below the oil level?
   Or has running the seal immersed in oil damaged it anyway?
   If I have to change the seal, can I get the bearing out of the hub without a
press?
   Anyone have any work-arounds for the special tool that the manual says has
to go with a puller to get the hub off?
   What other items would it be useful to replace [gasket, obviously, but
anything else?]

I know about the eight-sided nut [my 100 has the later hypoid axle]

Any help gratefully received.

Rgds

Mike

'56 BN2, Houston