speedo and tach

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedo and tach
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 08:00:41 -0700
got a chance to look at the 64 bj8 with the speedo and tach problem.  i think
i figured out the speedo problem.  it had a jaeger speedo that only went to
100 mph installed.  as far as i know all healeys had smith guages. someone let
me know if jaegers were ever installed on any healey because i shot my mouth
off and stated that i had never seen anything but smith guages on healeys and
was sure that was the problem. i could be wrong.  the tach problem was real
winner.  there was no wire from coil to tach with the loop around the pickup.
the only wire came from firewall side of coil and and was routed to the
clamping posts where the ground usually is secured. the green wire was
connected but both it and the white wire had been cut from a new wiring
harness and the green wire came from somewhere else. the owner said he had
been told there was short somewhere in his harness and the mechanic cut the
wires and rewired the whole setup.  i think the tach is okay, just wiring
problems. we are going to test his tach in my car to see if it works, which i
suspect it does.  i cannot see how it  could work if the wire from the coil
did not go around the pickup.  anyway, i told him i would ask the experts on
the list for help.  healeymajim