starting problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: starting problem
From: William Moyer <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 13:52:19 -0400
OK, I'm trying the easiest solution first since I don't have a spare
solenoid.  My much limberer daughter and I pulled the starter button.  She
did the behind the dash part.   Curiouser and curiouser, there -is- a white
wire as Mike said, but the other one is green with purple stripe.  I should
say this is a replacement harness and it's given me agonies before as my car
has stuff added and subtracted for the Euroupean market and the harness
wasn't "correct" from the beginning.  The ends of both wires were corroded,
so on goes the battery terminal spray, sand them a bit and trimmed them up.
Then I put the starter button on the ohm meter and pressed it about 100
times.  No failure there.  While the wires were out I -carefully- turned the
power back on and manually touched them.  The starter turned over;
disconnecting the coil probably would have been a good idea so the car
wouldn't actually start.  Reinstalled the button, ran the car around,
everything still works.  While I was poking around I looked at the solenoid
and the wire going into it is white with purple stripe, not green/purple as
above.  Just amazing, the harness isn't even consistent with itself.   I'm
hoping the contact cleaning works, if not, it's solenoid time.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Bill