6 year max tire life?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 6 year max tire life?
From: "Justin" <spartan0199@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:31:38 -0400
What do the tire experts think about the article below?  Is this a real
safety concern or are the OEM's trying to shield themselves from
lawsuits?  The tires on my Healey have to be nearly as old as I am (well
maybe not that old...).  What about my mom, she only drives ~ 3,000
miles a year, her tire tread is going to last awhile.

Justin
Ypsilanti, MI
1961 BT7

Beginning in 2006, all Ford and Chrysler vehicles will highlight threat
of older rubber.

By Jeff Plungis / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- DaimlerChrysler AG is advising U.S. customers to replace
new car and truck tires after six years, even if there is no sign of
wear, beginning with 2006 models.

The warning will be placed in Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep owners' manuals,
following a practice the company established in Europe. A few 2005
Chrysler Group models carry the warning.

"Tires and spare tire should be replaced after six years, regardless of
the remaining tread," the warning reads. "Failure to follow this warning
can result in sudden tire failure. You could lose control and have an
accident resulting in serious injury or death."

Ford Motor Co. began warning customers to replace older tires on its Web
site a few weeks ago. It will also include a warning with all 2006
models.

The companies are responding to new research that suggests tires can
degrade rapidly as they get older, regardless of how much they are used.

Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said the tire warning was added as part of
an ongoing review of safety information provided in owners' manuals.
"We're trying to get our customers to focus on tire maintenance," Gates
said. "It is important to raise this issue. It's often overlooked."

The moves by Ford and Chrysler represent a break from the U.S. tire
industry, which insists the research about tire aging is inconclusive.
The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no set period after
which all tires represent a safety risk.