RE: Gearbox noise

To: <SAINTADUB@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox noise
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:30:39 -0400
Hi Philippe,
Noises from the gearbox in reverse and 1st only are almost certainly caused
by damage to the teeth on either the 1st gear or the laygear (cluster gear).

You will most likely find damage on the laygear if you look very carefully.
You will probably have to drain the oil to see the damage as the laygear is
in the bottom of the box and the 1st gear is the straight cut one on the
rear end of the laygear.
Look for chipped or badly worn teeth.
The first gear is easier to see although in is shrouded by its selector.
You will also probably find steel fragments on the magnetic rings inside the
overdrive filter housing.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com