Re: LEDs for tail lights?

To: gregwilkinson@adelphia.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LEDs for tail lights?
From: Jwhlyadv@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 13:37:05 EDT
I bought a premium set of LED taillights at the Street Rod Nationals. These
are the best you can get ($24 each) and a favorite of the Street Rodders.

I found the light is much stronger directly focused behind the vehicle and
makes an improvement in Stop light function. The light is so directionally
focused rearward that the lens of the Healey does not "glow" like normal,
instead
it has a spotty appearance since the light beams are focused directly rear. The
LED's are mounted on a circuit board that is 90 degrees from the lamp base.
So instead of having a taper to the bulb like a normal 1157, I had to remove
the lamp socket and install a generic socket in order to get clearance for the
bulb to fit in the Lucas lamp.

All things considered it was not worth the effort and a waste of $48.

Thanks,

Jim Werner
Louisville, KY