Re: Won't Start

To: scott willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Won't Start
From: skip <tfsbj7@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:41:33 -0400
You say you are getting fuel and spark... can you be more specific?

Is the spark at all the plugs?...What about timing?... If you put a
strobe light on number one cylinder, does the spark happen when cylinder
1 is in the right zone?

Where are you measuring fuel?... Actually if you tried starting fluid
and the spark was anywhere near the correct time, you should have at
least observed something that sounded like the engine was trying to
go... If you got nothing, then I'd really start to suspect the timing.

I wouldn't worry about major engine problems (broken crank, cam,
pistons, head gasket etc) until you check out the timing.... One thing
that might have happened is a slipage of the distributor mounting, or
worse stripped gears between the distributor and cam.   Those things
might move the timing off sufficiently to prevent spark from coinciding
with compression/fuel cycle of the engine...

After you are sure that the timing is correct, spark is happening inside
the cylinder (i.e. not just on a plug that is sitting on top the
engine...) a shot of starting fluid should definitely cause something to
happen.

-skip-