Drive-shaft

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drive-shaft
From: "Ben Prince" <blprince2@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:49:54 -0700
Listers,

I recently had the drive-shaft on my BN1 rebuilt.  When it was removed, it was
fastened at each end with bolts that have cut-away heads.  The threads appear
to be whitworth.  Metal tabs were bent over to lock the nuts in place.

It was difficult to remove the lock tabs when I removed the drive-shaft due to
the confined space.  Are  the metal tabs the only proper lock mechanism?  Will
lock washers suffice?  Alternatively, are whitworth lock nuts available that
will work?  Or perhaps, are there SAE bolts with the desired head?

Thanks,
Ben