Re: running Hot

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: running Hot
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
Bob,

Didn't think about that one.  Shortly before changing out the water pump, I
relocated from Seattle, WA to South Florida.  After installing the new pump I
re-filled the cooling system with approx. 30% antifreeze and 70% water rather
than my customary 50-50 mix.   Might explain the improvement in cooling
efficiency.

I am curious now that I live in an area where freezing isn't an issue, what is
the minimum amount of antifreeze necessary for proper corrosion protection and
water pump lubrication?  Is there a better way to get these benefits without
using antifreeze?

John

Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
One other thing: if you live in a warm climate, you can use less
antifreeze in your coolant mixture. I live in the SF Bay Area, and
it (almost) never freezes here, so I use about a 2:1 water:antifreeze
mixture. Water has greater thermal conductivity than antifreeze, so
your cooling system can dissipate heat more efficiently. The
antifreeze bottles usually have a graph or chart showing protection
vs. concentration.

I also put Water Wetter in occassionally, but I can't say
definitively if/how much it lowers the temp.

bs
Bob Spidell San Jose, CA bspidell@comcast.net
'67 Austin-Healey 3000 '56 Austin-Healey 100M