Re: Texas Coolers

To: tblubaugh@verizon.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Texas Coolers
From: tammie wall <whammie@iopener.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:42:21 -0500
terry,
the TEXAS KOOLER began life as a Hayden 3602 and became a North Texas AH club
marketing/fund raiser in 1988 when i took 5 or 6 to the Conclave in shangri-la
( ne ok ), possibly, the hottest healey meet on record with temps hovering in
the 104 to 105 area for the entire meet.  several of us from tx had been using
the fans for several years with outstanding success.
in the 17 years since, we have probably shipped over 1500 to every state and
every country where there are Healeys in residence.
I, personally, have had a Kooler on every Healey i've owned and in particular,
on my BN6 since it went back on the road in '92.  we've been all over the
country, both coasts, international meets in Breckinridge, Utah and Tahoe, etc.
it has been my experience, that kooler failures are not due to stress cracks or
flexing but to:
1. poor mechanical installation ( and please bear in mind, it is a simple job
-- some folks just don't know their limitations ) following are the approximate
dimensions of my installation: 7/8" clearance between Kooler and radiator core,
kooler plane is 1/2" above bottom edge of top radiator tank, 3/8" clearance
between top tank and kooler and there is 1/2" clearance between radiator core
and front crossmember.
2. rear stabilizer bushings must be in good condition.  this is all that keeps
that 750 lbs. of cast iron from moving forward upon braking.
3. prior frame damage which impairs a correct plane between the radiator and
the fan.
i have have personally seen more stress related fractures on the original metal
fans with severe body damage resulting than on the molded plastic kooler.  i
would venture to say the stress related kooler failures are more likely because
of engagement with something in the cooling plane which will destroy the kooler.
jerry wall
NTAHC