RE: Knock off should be Pound On

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Knock off should be Pound On
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:46:45 -0400
For those with nothing better to think about............
As I understand it the principle of operation of the Rudge Whitworth
detachable wheel hub is very similar to the Sumitomo Cyclo reducer (without
the gear teeth) in that when all the parts are in good condition there is a
very slight clearance between the splined hub and the internal spline of the
wheel.
This, if the KO is fully tightened, results in the KO being carried around,
in the direction of rotation, as the load on the wheel moves throughout its
arc.
Bloody clever actually!!
Of course all bets are off if the spline is a press fit or the splines are
worn off!!!

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com