BJ8 starter motor "doesn't" any more. Any tricks before I get

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: BJ8 starter motor "doesn't" any more. Any tricks before I get
From: AlanX@proaxis.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:58:17 +0100
After apparently faultless functioning, my starter motor "doesn't". The
solenoid clunks, and 12 volts appear on the motor side of the solenoid
when the key is turned. The lights do not dim, so the motor is not
taking current (and is not jammed).

Opinion here says that it could be that the brushes are totally shot, or
just that the commutator has just landed on a dead or dirty spot. Can't
turn anything by hand, of course. I had hoped that, after a push start
and a long ride home, the vibration might have 'moved something', but no
such joy.

I think, if the earth strap was open, the lights wouldn't work. Am I
right? In which case it has to be internal to the motor (12v feed
terminals are tight).

Any tricks to try before I remove the motor?

TIA.
--
Alan F Cross (BJ8 "Ginny") AHC member TV1729J
Heathfield Studios - http://www.heathfield-studios.co.uk - web designers for the