Speedo Angle Drive?

To: "Healey Forum" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Angle Drive?
From: "Matt Wilson" <mwilson18@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:38:36 -0700
Dear Forum-
I have a 1960 AH 3000 BT7 and the speedo just went dead the other day.
Driving along I carefully unscrewed the speedo cable from the speedometer and
noted that the metal piece instide the speedo cable wasn't spinning.  So it's
not the speedometer.  Today I removed the tunnel to check out the other end of
the cable.  What I found was the angle drive (at the oposite side of where it
connects to the overdrive unit) had a few parts fall off it.  They were
resting at the base of the transmission mount.  Two pieces in total.  One is
basically a metal disc and the other also a metal disc but with a center area
that rounds out from the middle of the disc.  I don't see how these were
previously attached being that they aren't threaded or anything.  Any ideas
why these came out and or how to get these back installed properly?  I check
the connection of the speedo cable, at the overdrive unit, and it was fine.
The metal inside the speedo cable spins freely so it's got to be something
with the angle drive or God forbid the overdrive.  The O/D was rebuilt by a
reputable Healey mechanic here in San Diego but that doesn't mean something
hasn't gone wrong since.
Regards,
Matt Wilson-
1960 AH BT7