Re: Front End Rebuild for '65 BJ8

To: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: Front End Rebuild for '65 BJ8
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:38:37 -0700
Doug,

I recommend having your Armstrong's rebuilt (use reputable shop).  many
aftermarket shocks require a small cutout on the wheelwell inner skirt
directly above the shock body.

Be careful of  "deals" on kingpin sets from ebay as there was a major
recall a few years back (just be aware of what a bad set looks like)

I replaced all bushings, trunnions, king pins, springs, shocks, hard and
soft brake lines, calipers, pads, ball joint ends, etc etc

It is also the time to do a few other jobs (as long as it is already apart)

Trafficator rebuild

Ream kingpins (use reputable shop)

Be sure to have the spindles magna fluxed to check for cracks

New bearings and races

New splines and rims  (If you replace one replace both)

Check shock tower caps for broken captive nuts or freaky PO repairs

Radiator cleanup (possible boil by radiator shop)

New lower radiator hose

Uprate sway bar

In for a penny in for a pound.  As far as sourcing the parts, Moss did
well for allot of it, AH Spares had some deals, some from ebay.
Hint, if you get your parts from a local british car repairs shop (Moss
authorized) you can save on shipping unless you buy more than 500$ at a
time.

I know of no complete rebuild kit available.

Estimated cost 1-2K depending upon how mush you do yourself and if you
need splines.

Tracy