Re: Vinyl dash material

To: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Vinyl dash material
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:18:56 -0400
Simon,
Actually the original vinyl was referred to at the time as "leathercloth"
and it came in various thicknesses according to where it was being used. For
instance the leathercloth used on the dash was actually quite thin compared
to that used on the back sides of the seats.
Most of the vinyls we are using today are thicker than the original stuff.
However, I feel that as long as we can capture the authentic look which was
a medium coarse grain pattern, it should be acceptable. The tricky part
about all this is the fact that trying to work a thicker non expanding (non
stretchy) vinyl around all the convex and concave contours of the dash can
be somewhat of a challenge to get right.
I' attaching a pic of an original and a recently restored dash. You'll be
able to seee the grain pattern I reffered to. Both of these were from '62 Mk
2 tricarb cars.
Hope this helps.
Rich Chrysler