Re: steering component colors

To: "Peter Braun" <peter.braun@minifairfieldcounty.com>,
Subject: Re: steering component colors
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:23:02 -0400
On 3000's the aluminum spacer brackets were left bare aluminum.
The idler box was usually bare aluminum with a black phosphate(dull black)
lid and bolts. The arm was dull black. There have been some early 3000's
observed with black painted idler bodies in which case the lid and bolts
were also painted the same.
The steering box and column would be all black, though the later alloy cover
seldom held the paint very well and this often can confuse the restorer into
thinking it was left bare. The original finish was a gloss but in practice
this soon seemed to dull.
Rich Chrysler