Healey History

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healey History
From: Joe Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:18:05 +1000
I almost feel that my response to the BN.1 - BN.2  mails means I have
fallen into a well laid trap !!!!!!!!!! Surely others know this story
better than I. Where is the 'mighty' Quinn when we need him ?

The photograph in question was taken at the place Healey's used when
competing at LeMan. Two Healey pre- production prototypes were entered
and a third spare were taken to LeMans. The green was more like the
Aston Martin racing green. This was the first year that Austin Healeys
were entered for the 24 Hour event. Roger Menadue the first Healey Motor
Co. employee was the Chief Mechanic. I believe he is the one reaching
into the boot [trunk ]. These cars are known by ther 'works' license
nos. of NOJ 301 & 392.
 NOJ 392 was used by Roger Menadue as his company/private car until the
Sales Dept. said it wasn't right for him to be seen in an old superseded
model. Roger towed his small dinghy fishing boat behind this ex-LeMans
racer until it was taken off him.[ see photo. on p.8 of  Chevalier's
book. ] The fishing dinghy was powered by an out-board motor that Roger
made himself - that is a sign as to why works Healeys were so long
lasting as Roger understood basic engineering and was 'hands-on'.
This car now resides in Australia and has been fully restored and
checked by Roger before his death.Original LeMans documents were found
in the door pocket during the restoration.The car is still fitted with
the rare prototype Dunlop disc brakes as fitted by Healeys after LeMans.

The story of the '53 LeMans is interesting with one of the original race
entries being involved in an accident and much mid-night toil involved
to make that car race ready using parts from the spare

As an aside this first Austin Healey to race at LeMans is owned by one
of the founding members of the AHOC of NSW [Sydney] .Also owned by first
night members are the last Austin Healey to be raced by the Donald
Healey Motor Co. - 1968 Sprite and the last ever car built and raced by
Healeys the 1970  XR.37 . Both cars are in 'the book' fitted with an
Australian designed and built Repco-Brabham  [ Jack's son  Geoff is
still racing at LeMans and the USA series.]
In 1967 & 68 the Sprite won the Trophy for the best finishing entery at
LeMans and averaged approx. 100 mph for the 24 hours. All done with
Lucas ditributors, lighting and SU fuel pumps plus lever arm shocks.
All these cars are featured in the excellant  book by Herve Chevalier.
Guys you have gotta read more books to appreciate the achievements of
the Donald Healey Motor Co.
Its late and I have got to stop doodling about. My Dad always said
"leave your doodle alone son."

Joe
red one-24 hour
blue one-12 hour